Golden Record Curation

After reviewing the Golden record’s musical contents, I have curated the following ten pieces from the twenty-seven pieces:

1. Beethoven, String Quartet No. 13 in B flat, Opus 130, Cavatina, performed by Budapest String Quartet. 6:37
  2. Mozart, The Magic Flute, Queen of the Night aria, no. 14. Edda Moser, soprano. Bavarian State Opera, Munich, Wolfgang Sawallisch, conductor. 2:55
  3. Navajo Indians, Night Chant, recorded by Willard Rhodes. 0:57
  4. China, ch’in, “Flowing Streams,” performed by Kuan P’ing-hu. 7:37
  5. India, raga, “Jaat Kahan Ho,” sung by Surshri Kesar Bai Kerkar. 3:30
  6. Mexico, “El Cascabel,” performed by Lorenzo Barcelata and the Mariachi México. 3:14
  7. Holborne, Paueans, Galliards, Almains and Other Short Aeirs, “The Fairie Round,” performed by David Munrow and the Early Music Consort of London. 1:17
  8. Japan, shakuhachi, “Tsuru No Sugomori” (“Crane’s Nest,”) performed by Goro Yamaguchi. 4:51
  9. Peru, panpipes and drum, collected by Casa de la Cultura, Lima. 0:52
  10. “Johnny B. Goode,” written and performed by Chuck Berry. 2:38

In selecting the ten pieces, I tried to remember the intention of this record, that is to include sounds that portray the diversity of life and culture on earth. I included a variety of music from different parts of the world. In narrowing down my choices further, I decided to select pieces that evoked strong emotions while listening as well. If I had to add something to this record, I’d say it’s missing laughter as well as a newborn baby crying. These two sounds are important aspects of human life.