Task 1: What’s in my bag

Hi class! My name is Rachel Chiang and I am an academic advisor at a Canadian university. This is my last ETEC courses before I wrap up my studies and I’m both excited and sad at the same time. So many emotions going through my mind now.

The items shown in the photo are what I usually carry in my work backpack before covid hits. I had a long commute to/from work so I tried to pack only the essentials. Here are the items:

• Pen and a highlighter
  • Notebook/Planner
  • Cellphone
  • Wallet
  • First-aid kit
  • Paper for ETEC courses
  • Throat drops and cookies
  • Water bottle

Daily needs for the items

Since my commute takes up a significant amount of time in my daily schedule, I make sure I pack items that will get me through different scenarios, from potential snowfall to unpredictable traffic jam. I like to review my daily appointments in the morning and write down anything I should pay attention to. My planner also serves as my journal so on my way home, I would try to write down any event happens  that day which elicits strong emotions so I can leave work at the door without taking it home with me.

I also find myself oddly productive on the bus and I can do more readings and draft my discussion posts better. That is why I printed out required reading for my study so I can read it during my commute. It takes the pressure off that I don’t need to constantly be working on my assignments at the last minute. I use my cellphone to draft my homework so it is easier to transport later.

Other items, including first-aid kit, water bottle, and snacks, are more for the just in case scenario. Bus can get stuck on the mountain for a long time on a snowy day so I make sure I pack enough snack if I ever get stuck on the bus.

How might these items be considered “texts” and the connection to the literacies I have

There are items that stand out more as “texts” for obvious reason, since they have writing on it. However, as we talked about texts could also mean creation in Module 1, my cellphone, for instance, really can be seen as an extension of texts too. Communication can be outward to other people and it is also important to consider the internal dialogue we have with ourselves. I see myself as an introvert and I express myself better when I have the chance to gather and organize my thoughts. This personality trait becomes evident in the items I carried in my bag – lots of writing instruments!

Writing reports and meeting summaries are two important tasks in my work and I often have to go back to my earlier notes for reference. Therefore, I need to make sure I have multiple pens with different colours (to make note-writing more fun for myself too).

With my phone, like many people, I’m also a member of various of group chats. Having the phone with me means I am able to get important update about work, school, and how my friends are doing. For me, I see the use of my phone as a creation of social network or just stay connected with the “outside world”, so to speak.

My narratives 

Working with university students, especially first year students, the topic of impostor syndrome comes up frequently. The same thing applies to working professionals too or at least this is how I feel sometimes. It is not a stretch to say that in order to live up the narrative I have for myself on how I should present myself professionally, really impact the items I choose to put in my bag. With my journal readily with me in my daily bag, I am able to remind myself that life is not just about work or school and I also need to remember the happier moments too by writing them down.

The fact I’m writing down important events, whether it be historical or personal, would mean I get to provide a glance to archaeologists on this time period. I just hope they do not read about my grocery list and shake their heads in disapproval.

3 thoughts on “Task 1: What’s in my bag

1. It’s interesting to me how many people carry around pens and notebooks. Do you think that is an artifact of people who work in education, people taking university courses, or something just items the majority of people carry around with them?

• Hi Deirdre,
      Your question reminds me of the constant discussion students have and that is whether one would recommend taking notes with the pen and paper or using electronic devices, such as an iPad. It really depends on each person’s preference and style when it comes to how they want to organize information. I do get distracted when I use my cellphone and that is why I find the old-fashioned pens and notebooks work better for me.