International Students, UNITE!

And here we go again…

I can’t believe the AMS has another motion to eliminate the International Student Seat. What is happening?

I have already expressed how I feel about that – so here is a copy of the email that the International Student Rep (Brittany) is asking students to send to their faculty reps on council:

Dear Councillor,

I am writing to you in regards to the upcoming motion to remove the International Student Seat from the AMS council. As international students we face a unique set of issues which we do not feel can be adequately represented by a faculty representative alone. The international student community composes a near 15% of all UBC undergraduates, but despite numerous calls for UBC to truly commit to diversity and democracy within the AMS, this community has had its voice muted by equally numerous actions and motions (such as this Wednesday’s motion) which constrict our ability to enact tangible change at a policy level.
Diversity has been touted by the university as one of the central underpinnings of UBC policy, yet if this move to eliminate the International Student Seat passes on Wednesday it will throw such bragging into the light and expose it as nothing but unfulfilled words, backed by nothing but resistance and opposition from the very people who are meant, as the AMS mission statement goes, to be improving “the quality of the educational, social, and personal lives of the students of UBC.”
Please vote against Wednesday’s motion to abolish the International Student Seat! Having this seat IS important to the international student community.

Thank you for your time and support.

Brittany is also asking students to show their support by going to this Wednesday’s AMS Council Meeting at 6:00 in the SUB, room 206. If you can make it, please show up, and you don’t have to be international to care!

About Valentina

I'm from a small and beautiful town next to a big and amazing lake in Guatemala.