Response To “Burger King’s Big King: A Big Mac By Any Other Name?”

This blog is posted by Julie Jargon  on The Wall Street Journal on November 5th, 2013.

Jargon’s blog is mainly talked about that the new burger from Burger King seems a copy of MacDonald’s Big Mac.

I think the block is interesting because the author used an ironic language to analysis this issue. Burger King is like a kid who denies after making mistakes. The blog analysis this issue from the perspective of business theory of position. Burger King believes their new burger is unique, but obviously their “uniqueness” dose not gain position in market for them.

What really interests me is what MacDonald’s response. As mentioned in Jargon’s blog “McDonald’s reacted to the new burger with a shrug: “We’re focused on our business and our customers,” a spokeswoman said.” .

I see two reasons there. Firstly, MacDonald’s is the largest fast food company in the whole world, while Burger King is about the fifth or sixth. However, MacDonald’s annual sale is approximately seven times of Burger King’s. MacDonald’s has the confidence. Secondly,  customers are not fools and have the ability to tell who is copying others. Generally, the reason is that MacDonald’s believes itself and their customers.

(The blog can be found at: http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intelligence/2013/11/05/burger-kings-big-king-a-big-mac-by-any-other-name/)