The Handmaid’s Tale: Thoughts

The Handmaid’s  Tale was an incredibly interesting read, as it reflects an extreme world where feminism ceases to exist. The world which Atwood creates is very vivid through the eyes of Offred, the protagonist. The elaborate system of government and the roles and niches given to different people is also very intriguing I constantly question how Atwood develops all this. The whole topic of feminism is rather fascinating.

As a fan of fiction novels where lots of action, I had hoped for an exciting and climactic ending, where a rebellion takes over the oppressive regime of Gilead. Perhaps Luke could bust down the door to Offred’s room and romantically save her and help her escape. However my hopes were all but fulfilled, as the novel closes with a rather ominous ending. Offred is simply taken away, and we do not know if she survives or dies.

I was disappointed, yet still strangely satisfied with the ending. Offred’s character already predetermined that her “ending” would not be an exciting one, as throughout the novel, she had a very passive and observatory role. I was disappointed with the lack of closure. When I read novels, I usually enjoy ones with a solid ending. The ending of The Handmaid’s Tale however, was acceptable. I don’t believe there can ever be a solid ending without blowing the whole thing out of proportion. Either the Gilead government wipes out all rebel factions, or rebels rise up and take down the regime. The novel would lose its unique and genuine language.

Last class however, we were shown the ending to the film adaptation of the novel. I found it absolutely hilarious. Not only does Offred slit the Commander’s throat, but the city becomes engulfed in explosions – that was the cherry on top. This version of the end of the story was totally off-the-top ridiculous. There is no way this ending would fit in with the novel, as Offred possesses a very passive personality. It would also completely shatter and disrupt the fluidity of the novel. It’s your typical Hollywood, cliche ending where the guy gets the girl, and the girl lives happily ever after with a healthy pregnancy. I thoroughly enjoyed this butchering of the novel, and the crazy explosions in the background.

In all seriousness, the movie granted me something the novel did not. Closure. I enjoyed the fact that I KNEW what happened to the protagonist, and I KNEW what could possible occur afterwards. No matter how ridiculous and outrageous the ending was, at least there was an ending.

All in all, I believe that in today’s society, this world could never exist. With the new generation of children and young adults, feminism, the idea of equality between man and women, is already integrated into their lives without many even knowing it. For me personally, I cannot fathom the idea that men deserve more rights and benefits than women, as some of my best friends are girls. Children these days do not even know of inequality between different ethnic backgrounds and such because of the way they are brought up.

The Handmaid’s Tale really brings to light the importance and necessity of feminism in the world.