Home

ENGL 301 is a technical writing course offered in an online classroom environment. Some of the objectives of this course include:

• Introduction to elements of writing in business, professional and technical contexts
  • Opportunities to practice and polish strategies and techniques particular to writing in these contexts
  • To create an online Web Folio with an accompanying resume
  • Encourage online discussions with classmates, peer reviews and collaboration in assignments with other students
  • To encourage and assist students on their writing and self-editing skills

This course is divided into four units including:

1. Principles, Practices and People in ENGL 301
  2. Designing a Report Proposal; Defining Terms with Audience in Mind
  3. Designing a Report Outline & Draft; Building your Resume and Job Application skills
  4. Drafting the Formal Report; Peer Review and Final Report; Developing networking strategies

The assessments for this course is composed of three major writing assignments including the Formal Report, the Application Package, and the Web Folio.

My expectation from this course is to practice my writing skills and become proficient and confident in my writing skills in a business or professional setting. I am also looking forward to creating my first Web Folio and refreshing my resume writing skills as that can be very convenient in my personal life as well as for my professional career. I intend to use many of the resources available through this course and the UBC resource center to gain knowledge and to broaden my horizon in regards to technical writing. I also expect and look forward to being provided with opportunities to collaborate with other students and be involved in online discussions. I aspire to take the skills gained from this course and apply it to my professional career or in a business setting.