Scion iQ

So, after many years battling the worst public transit system on earth (Yes, you, TransLink…) I have decided that I will be getting a car in April.

I’ve spent considerable amounts of time on the internet researching MANY different options, and my heart is quite set on this little fellow in the image below.

Courtesy of: http://www.scionvirginia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/2011-scion-iq-600x398.jpg

It’s called the Scion iQ. The Scion brand was actually introduced in our marketing textbook as well, known as a unique “youth car brand” and “The average age of Scion buyers is 30, which is the youngest in the industry” (auto.msn.com). As a brand under Toyota, they specifically target the “Gen Y”-ers by heavily depending their marketing on strategies such as:

• TV commercials with the latest pop songs and thrilling action
  • Facebook, twitter and other social media as main outreach
  • Online games and contests (eg. win a free Scion) that are interactive
  • Concerts and events in major cities

These strategies seemed to really attract American Gen Y-ers, as shown in sales for the first several years of Scion as a brand (in States since 2003). In recent years, not so much. I suppose it has to do with the products losing excitement, but also that maybe Gen Y-ers (especially ones still in school), are really not getting any richer these days.

There are many reasons why this car appeals to me, but the two big influential factors are:

Family – I’ve grown up with Toyotas

Social – I say social, because as we get more socially aware about impacts on the environment, I would expect (or hope) that people feel guilty to drive around, especially when it’s just one person in the car. Such a tiny car like this is surely going to cut down on that guilt for me. I suppose it’s a better social “image” I present of myself than driving a huge SUV.

There are no comments yet...

Kick things off by filling out the form below.