Inspirational and heart warming is the story of Malala Yousafzai, a young woman who stood up for education and the emancipation of women. Her courageous story is one that reached the lives of many (Online Learning Insights). In her biography she addresses the many problems that are faced within her village in the Swat Valley. She delivers the “human side of the catastrophe in Swat” (pg154; I am Malala). While addressing political issues, religious views, and historical context, her most engaging theme was the power of education. I will explore how the power of education inspired Malala and the effects it plays on individuals.

Malala since a young age understood the terror and idea behind the Taliban as men who lash out of fear (I am Malala) and education for women was negated by their regime. For Malala attending school and learning the language of knowledge was an adventure, it was her paradise. Unlike many economically more developed countries, where education is a basic right and is granted to all, for Malala it was a marvel. As Malala starts frequenting school she understands “that the pen and words that come from it can be much more powerful than machine guns, tanks or helicopters”(157, I am Malala). Throughout her journey Malala strives to acquire education as a basic right for women and many in economically less developed countries, as she explains the power and magic behind words. As she begun sharing experiences and logging journals filled with the view of the world through her eyes to release to the Urdu BBC blog reporter, her stories were becoming internationally recognized (I am Malala). When the Taliban shut down the schools’ for girls, Malala states in her biography: “ When someone takes away your pens you realize how important education is”(160, I am Malala). The power of education goes beyond imagination, education is the key to learning and maturing (LitChart) in order to achieve success, wisdom and true knowledge; as it broadens perspectives and imaginations through all that man kind has learned and evolved with.

After Malala was fatally wounded and taken to the United Kingdom, she was the youngest recipient of the Nobel peace prize in its history. She is also a part of the United Nations, and is currently pursuing a resolution to “ensure an education for every child on the planet”(LitChart). Although Malala is actively pursuing her resolution, How will she achieve education at a global scale ensuring equality for all the children in the world?

“The LitCharts Study Guide to I Am Malala.” LitCharts. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Sept. 2016.

Yousafzai, Malala, and Christina Lamb. I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban. N.p.: n.p., n.d. Print.

@onlinelearningI. ““I Am Malala”: A Review of the Book and Its Implications for Education.” Online Learning Insights. N.p., 2014. Web. 19 Sept. 2016.