Home

Course Description and Expectations:

According to the course description, this course is designed to introduce us to the unique elements of writing in business, professional, and technical contexts. Through a combination of course readings, activities, and assignments, I believe we will have the opportunity to hone our skills in these areas and develop a strong understanding of the strategies and techniques used in these writing contexts. We will also engage in online discussion with our classmates and participate in peer review and document analysis to further deepen our understanding. Additionally, we will be directed to valuable resources through UBC’s Career Services unit and have the opportunity to create an online portfolio in the form of a LinkedIn profile and professional website. Moreover, the course aims to encourage self-reflection and the development of self-editing skills.

Additionally, I also hope to acquire necessary skills for coherent, concise and effective communication as that is the backbone for all organisational communication. Technical writing allows individuals to express in a professional manner to get their perspective across smoother, which is a strength in the corporate world. Building resume’s and learning the composition of business jargon will enable us to reach recruiters in our desired industries and help them understand our professional, academic and personality better.

Nevertheless, I am really looking forward to working with other individuals taking this course and collaborate with them on writing assignments so we can all implement changes in our style of writing for the better. I am a firm believer in teamwork and collaboration calls for different intellects creating high quality work. Lastly, this course highlights the significance of organisation, evidence, aiming for the appropriate audience and helps develop a distinctive style of writing based on the context and content of the message.

About me:

I am a Psychology major and Commerce minor student at the University of British Columbia, expecting to graduate in November 2023. I have received awards such as Outstanding International Student Award at UBC and Most Innovative Intern at Marketing Agency. I also have a strong background in marketing management, creative writing, and differential calculus.

I also have work experience as a Residence Advisor, Marketing Intern, Cashier, and Research and Analysis Intern. I believe my work experience showcases my skills in conflict management, event planning, team collaboration, market research, and customer service.

I have been avidly involved in community service all my life, having served as a Project Leader Volunteer at Agrasar Bachpan, where I organized book drives and taught children and revamping and building a small library for the children. I also have excellent Microsoft Office, MailChimp, customer service, and project management skills.

My interests include traveling, reading, writing, volunteering, marketing, and learning languages. I am proficient in Hindi, Punjabi, English, conversational Spanish, and American Sign Language.