Should Sustainability Be A Choice?

The big question. Should consumers have a choice in sustainability or should all products on the shop shelf be from responsible sources? I have conflicting thoughts about this topic and see it as a double-edged sword.

Fave Green Co's

Some of my favourite sustainable companies.

On one hand, I believe that consumers should do their due diligence and take the time to research companies before purchasing their products. This is because, even though many companies claim to be sustainable, only some are making real changes to their business. In an age where greenwashing is so prevalent and the authenticity of  certifications are questioned, the onus is truly on the consumer to wade through the BS spewed by companies to find the truth. While this may seem daunting at first, there are several tools available for consumers to use (see this post about my favourite tools).

On the other hand, I believe that all companies should be sustainable. It is the right thing to do and the only way the Earth can sustain our consumerist culture (yes, it’s me again, Britta). While I may want people to question their purchases and ask themselves if they truly need something before purchasing it, I realise that this is not likely to happen. It is way easier for companies to become more socially and environmentally responsible than for society to change its attitudes towards spending (it will take decades for the latter to occur, with companies like Patagonia leading the charge).

It’s hard for me understand the attitudes and mindset of unsustainable companies. For me, sustainability is the right thing to do, simple as that. I know that companies aren’t perfect, I don’t expect them to be, but I do expect companies to be doing something to become more sustainable. Sustainability is a journey and while companies like Method are ahead of the pack, many others have yet to make their first steps along the path of enviro-social responsibility. I don’t think it’s too much to ask for companies to do the right thing.