Hello, my name is Rifa!

In my daily commute bag, you will find:

• Wallet
  • Transit pass
  • Disinfectant wipes
  • Lip balm
  • Notebook
  • Pen
  • Earphones
  • Swipe Card
  • Keys
  • Sanitizer
  • Painkillers
  • Extra face mask
  • Water bottle
  • Umbrella
  • Phone (not pictured!)

Owing to the pandemic, the contents of my bag have been streamlined to the bare essentials, which otherwise consisted of a never-ending sea of receipts and lost hair ties. Because I only selectively leave my house now and have only just starting going to work in-person, it has been easier for my bag to stay clean and organized. I do not think this bag represents me at all – I believe most people carry a keys and a wallet and now a sanitizer perhaps. Though it may show you that as a girl guide, I took the “be prepared” motto seriously and carried it onto adulthood.  As such, while I need my keys daily, I also have painkillers to calm a possible headache; so all the contents have a purpose.

While the contents of my bag do not present an accurate picture of my identity, I imagine they may give insight to a generic view of a working professional in the modern world amidst a pandemic, or maybe a germophobe.

The branding information on all items is digitally produced and printed, with some containing text in different languages – English, French and Swedish – highlighting the multi-literate and globalized world we live in, whereas the printed labels can allude to a strong visual culture. The text in these labels may also point to my residence in Canada and the languages I could speak (I do not speak French or Swedish).

Besides my phone there is no digital technology in my bag. My notebook would be a notable example of a “text technology”. The notebook doesn’t just have handwriting but also doodles, sketches and a few digitally printed stickers. Both my phone and notebook are communication tools that I use daily and also several times a day, representing my literacy skills in text and digital media. The pen would be an accomplice to the notebook, helping organize my days and create many a lists.

The transit pass and swipe card work on digital identification and data management systems that point to the modern digital life that runs via technologies of text and code.

Overall my backpack and the items only show a glimpse of my personality, one that speaks to organization and functionality. However, at the moment, it is missing my chaotic and creative side.