https://blogs.ubc.ca/etec540ajazieni/2021/09/24/task-3-voice-to-text/

I chose to look at Amy’s experience converting speech to text because she noted right away that the story was about her travels in Europe, which I was excited to hear more about.

We both used quotes and a font change to indicate the text that was part of the story and it appears that the content of both of our stories made a reference to the pandemic.

Amy does not mention which application or software she used but believes that only 70-75% of the content was transcribed correctly. Yet I was able to grasp the gist of her travel experience as well as recognize what Amy was trying to say where the tool transcribed incorrectly. For example, “Covid head” likely means Covid hit and “once currently in Mexico” probably means one is currently in Mexico. Compared to my transcription, I found Amy’s story easier to follow and understand, whereas I found mine challenging to follow due to the rambling nature of my dictation.  She is probably a better narrator since her speech was captured comparatively well.

We had very similar conclusion about the limitations of voice-to-text, more specifically about the lack punctuation but also how inconsistently the transcription tools applications worked – for instance, capitalizing some words but not others.

While I was reasoning the clear-cut differences between oral and written storytelling, Amy contends that neither is right or wrong but that they are simply different, which I agree is an apt conclusion. This task illustrated that both forms are an art with advantages and drawbacks and so it is important, as Amy notes, to consider the form that befits the story.