https://blogs.ubc.ca/etec540dgm/2021/10/17/task-6-an-emoji-story/

I’m using Grant’s emoji story for this assignment because the TV show he chose is one of my favourites at the moment.

The challenge with the emoji story is being able to communicate a story to an audience based on a limited visual elements. The story may not be familiar to the audience and so it is difficult for them to recognize. Thus, for this task, I purposely chose a popular movie that I hoped people were familiar with. Grant too chose a well-known TV show though he adhered to the instructions closely and went with a recent one.

Grant and I approached this task, similarly, using the TV and movie emoji respectively before our title to indicate that the genre of our emoji story. We rationalized that this would make it easier for the audience to decipher the plot. Moreover, highlighting the title in the first line helps to contextualize the story. We used subsequent lines to describe the plot, carefully selecting emojis that best represented ideas and whole words instead of syllables, and used emoji skin tones to show ethnicity. The entire plot is explained thoroughly in both cases, however I found Grant’s plot to be succinct and mine cluttered in comparison. In retrospect I was too excited to fit all the emotions, ideas and details into my story.

We both also used our phones to complete the task rather than the emoji keyboard online.

I noticed that Grant used punctuation in his emoji story, using parenthesis, commas and a period at the end of his plot summary. The commas in particular help show simultaneous action and emotion in a soccer field from Grant’s example, which is important to the plot in the story. The use of punctuation was clever, and it did not occur to me at all! Despite emojis having communicative power to tell a story, I did not consider the rules of writing applied to them in this case.