Concluding or Farewell Post

by jenna loupret

In my previous post, “The Society of Reluctant Dreamers”, I mentioned that I am currently feeling a little foggy because of Covid. Today is supposed to be my last day of exile… I mean quarantine… so hopefully, I will see you all in class tomorrow?

Anyway, my thoughts on the class; I really enjoyed this class. I was a little skeptical at first because being given the choice of what I wanted my grade to be was a unique decision. I am very much a classic “over-achiever” and because of that I often sign myself up for more than I can physically do, but surprisingly, I managed to complete each novel and blog post (except of course my most recent one which was unique). I found the structure of this course really comforting, I knew exactly what I had to do every week and there were never any surprises. As well, I always enjoyed the environment of the classroom and felt like class discussions flowed naturally.

I would like to talk about some of my favourite novels from this class. My top two favourites were “Bonjour Tristesse” and “The Passion According to G.H.”, I think that these were my favourites because I related most to the characters. Not because I have ever experienced anything similar to either protagonist but because their inner monologues were understandable in a way that the other protagonists’ were not. In “Bonjour Tristesse”, Cecil’s situation is not something I could personally relate to, however, I have been a 17-year-old girl, who was unsure of herself and the people around her. And in “A passion according to G.H”, G.H’s story is particularly unique but her deep inner reflection and turmoil is something I could empathize with. Furthermore, I appreciated these novels for featuring women as protagonists whose stories didn’t really revolve around men.

Overall, I would like to say thank you for this course, I quite enjoyed it and I am sad that it’s ending.