Jorge Luis Borges’ Labyrinths (Week 5)

While this week’s reading was not as inscrutable as last week’s poetry could be (especially in translation), its surreal quality made it almost as difficult to draw conclusions from. When I first started this, I mentioned that the only impression I had of Latin American literature was magical realism. This week’s text definitely fulfilled that expectation, with each story containing a dreamlike atmosphere that emphasizes the non-reality of the written word.

I obviously do not have the writing space to discuss every short story in the collection as each one has quite a lot worth dissecting. I will point out a few highlights for me from the collection, as I was doing research about the text these seem to be some of the most popular for most people. “The Garden of the Forking Paths,” a short story with one of the more literal labyrinths than those found throughout the text, explores how time branches off into a million different equally possible realities. The story reminded me a lot of an old sci-fi story similar to The Twilight Zone or something like that. The notebook that Dr. Yu Tsun finds reveals the future and raises a lot of poignant existential questions about free will and fate. The presence of the future notebook also brought up (what I thought were) very contemporary discourses concerning the precise nature of time. As knowledge of future events creates a paradoxical awareness of what is to come and impending time loops, Borges fundamentally questions the shape and linearity of time as it actually is instead of just how we experience it. These concepts such as time loops, rewriting the past, and a lack of free will all strike me as very modern science fiction tropes, so I was very surprised when I learned that ‘The Garden of the Forking Paths” was originally published in 1941. As this time period was arguably the cusp of 20th-century modernity, I wonder how many science fiction writers found inspiration in texts that employed magical realism to the effect that Borges did here.

Another highlight from the collection for me was “The Library of Babel” as it contained another unique setting that seemed straight out of science fiction. This story kind of resembles “The Garden with the Forking Paths,” as it also contains an object, in this case, a library, that holds the vastest and most unknowable quantity of something. In this case that something is information instead of time. The very scale of the library dwarfs the character’s attempts to ascribe it with coherent meaning. This enormity of information emphasizes the limitations of human knowledge and humbles people for even attempting to try to understand it.

Question: Do you enjoy magical realism? What is it about this genre that connects it so closely with “lesser” genres like fantasy or sci-fi but at the same time is always associated with literary merit?

3 thoughts on “Jorge Luis Borges’ Labyrinths (Week 5)

1. DanielOrizaga

Perhaps Borges himself would not like to be classified among the writers of magical realism. But I don’t know if that is so relevant at this point, but how is it that your expectations about his stories were met. I can perceive that same atmosphere like “The Twilight Zone” in other passages. The question of influences is interesting in Borges, and I think that “Kafka and His Precursors” can help us in this debate. What other Sci-Fi authors or works do you think are related to Borges’ fiction?

2. julia gomez-coronado dominguez

Hello! I loved your post. Answering your question, I think that magical realism mixes both elements of magic and fantasy and realism, making it a good blend for the reader to experience different “realities” in one story. This is why I think it is also considered literary merit because it also contains characteristics of classic storytelling. I do normally enjoy this genre because although I like better realistic stories rather than fantasy ones, the thrill of having subtle components of magic in them is captivating.

3. Julia Wouters

Hey!
    Magic realism appeals to me because it is escapism that is founded in reality. It integrates imagination with everyday life into a single narrative, which enables the exploration of fresh viewpoints and perceptions into the nature of humanity. Magic realism allows me to explore the boundaries of my mind and interests while also allowing me to escape the banal realities of daily life.