Linking Assignment 5 Algorithms of Predictive Text

Find a link to Heidi Dyck’s Algorithms of Predictive Text task.

Heidi and I approached this task similarly.  We both wrote and published a blog post that contained information relevant to our weekly task, as well, we both used our web authoring tool’s Blockquote function.  Based on reading Heidi’s blog post, I feel that we had a similar experience when using predictive text, in that we both expressed that while some of the text that was produced may be words that we used often, the actual final microblog post that we published didn’t sound like anything we would actually say or publish publicly.

In comparing, web authoring tools, Heidi and I are both using WordPress as a web authoring tool for this class.  However, Heidi uses the theme Proudly and I use the theme WPshoppe.  I don’t like all of the styling options of Heidi’s theme, however, I think that the end-user interface is intuitive and visually appealing.  For this specific task, as I mentioned Heidi and I both used our web authoring tools Blockquote function and provided a JPEG image to accompany our post.  However, if you look at each of our posts they look very different.

When you go to Heidi’s homepage her blog posts are listed in a grid with the title of the post, an image that was posted within the post, and a link to the category archive for each post.  When you click on the category archive, you see a list of posts that are linked to that specific category or you can click on a post to open the specific post.  I chose not to categorize any of my blog posts, however, going forward if I were to continue posting I think for ease of access for users on my page I would have to create some type of categorization.  I think that the way the Proudly theme categorizes blog posts is great for a user who is looking to read specific content on a webspace.

Heidi’s webspace also had a sidebar that is always available.  In the sidebar, a user can easily click on her home page and posts for this class.  As well as, click on recent posts, comments, and there is a calendar.   When you click a specific post, in order to go to another post, you have to use the menu.  This is a bit tedious and outside of the users of this class, I’m not sure that a user would land on Heidi’s webpage and know what each of her links meant in order to find more content.

Overall, I think that Heidi’s webspace is intuitive and easy to navigate.  I think that in comparing Heidi and my own webspace in terms of literacies, both of our posts are text based, and speak to writing literacies.