Skip navigation

Monthly Archives: November 2013

Who knew shooting and editing a video could be so fun! This term, the last part of our final project entailed a short seven minute video discussing our analysis and recommendations for the powerhouse clothing company Zara. The video project was given rather than an in class presentation. Personally, I was against the idea at first until actually sitting down and starting to film the video.

Our group bonded so much over the day of filming, from laughing because of the hundreds of screw ups, to crying when we realized we missed shooting a huge portion of our video. I feel as though the bonding experience between our group was far more than could of come from preparing for an in class presentation. Rather than going through the routine of practising and memorizing our scripts, we were given an actual opportunity to show off more of our creative side in a video.

Continually, not only was the filming a blast, but  I feel as though we all learned a whole bunch of new skills through trying to figure out how to edit the video. Sure, it was frustrating at times but when the final product was finally completed the joy and sense of accomplishment was overwhelming. It was a great Way to end a great semester!

Edit: Reflection/feedback: I viewed getting feedback and constructive criticism from my fellow peers to be extremely useful and through provoking. A lot of their feedback where on things I did not even think about, and they really gave me a chance to reflect on our overall video project. I will definitely internalize a lot of the suggestions made and implement them in future projects. Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond and this process should definitely be repeated to future comm 296 classes!

link to our video :

“Some woman’s bodies just don’t work for it” Said Lululemon’s CEO, Chip Wilson after a massive recall on their best selling black yoga pants. Customers claim the the popular yoga pants were see through when exercising, exposing them for everyone to see.

In attempt to combat the flaw of the pants, Willson ended up insulting his loyal customers rather than take charge for the malfunction of the pants. Personally it enrages me that someone could blatantly insult the very customers that bring him all of his success. Its exactly like a child blaming another sibling for the broken vase in the living room. However, Willson did make a public video apologizing to his customers, and actually seeming very sincere and sorry.

In conclusion, it is better to take action for your failures rather than pointing the finger elsewhere. It is going to be very interesting to see what happens from here on outward in regards to the sales of Lululemons products. Will the apology video be enough to reconcile the hurt faced by the thousands of upset women, or will sales plummet as individuals turn away from Lululemon.

link to apology video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeFMeBtNRp8

Zara truly has become one of the most popular and powerful clothing brands in the world. With their chic and high quality clothing, and insane delivery speeds of exactly what consumers are demanding through their top of the line supply chain, Zara has truly become one of the elite.

However, after reading Joey’s blog there was one thing that she mentioned that particularly stood out to me. She argued that Zara can “increase their sales and brand exposure” with more “flashy advertisements [like their] competitors.” Personally, I could not agree more. Currently Zara’s philosophy on advertising is just to “let their clothes and company’s success” sell it self. However, I feel that expanding the companies advertisement presence like commercial advertising during huge TV shows like Pretty Little Liars would bring in an ample amount of new customers that may have never even heard of Zara.

Zara could also improve their social media presence as a means to improve their advertising tactics. For example during television shows (like Pretty Little Liars) have #zara somewhere on the screen getting people to tweet at them, giving comments on the outfits that the actors are wearing.

In conclusion, Zara still continues to dominate the clothing industry, however if they want to improve their global presence, I do strongly believe that Zara could benefit tremendously from implementing more “flashy” advertising.

link to Joey’s Blog:

https://blogs.ubc.ca/jojoluoo/

link to used sources

http://fashiongear.fibre2fashion.com/brand-story/zara/advertisements.as