Unit Four: Reflection on Web Folio Construction

word

In Unit 4, we were asked to create a Web Folio that showcased our work in English 301 to the social network world. I remember in May, when I first heard about the Web Folio as a term-end project, I thought the task will be a complicated and daunting one to complete. This is because I am not an expert with computers and the idea of a Web Folio was unheard of. However, as I complete my Web Folio, I realized I underestimated myself and the experience is quite rewarding and enjoyable.

I choose to modify my original English 301 blog on the UBC Blogs site. Having worked within the blog over the past 14 weeks, the process of transforming the blog was much easier. Unlike the earlier weeks of this course, I know how to insert hyperlinks and pictures, create new pages and posts, and navigate the toolbar in an effective and efficient manner.

Dr. Paterson provided clear instructions for organization, layout, and content requirements. I chose to follow the given directions and fulfill each technical requirement with precision. After I completed all the requirements, I realized my blog looked quite generic and dull. To add a personal touch, I included a few pictures of myself and my interests to make my Web Folio appear original. This not only enhanced the appearance of my Web Folio, it gave my readers a better understanding of my personality and present/future interests in life.

I perfected and edited each page and post of my Web Folio according to peer reviews and Dr. Paterson’s suggestions. In addition, I noticed that I had some editing and formatting errors in previous posts that needed to be fixed. For example, my application letter on the Blogs page had severe spacing problems and the hyperlink was inserted incorrectly. Since this was my first blog, I was unaware of the different tools on WordPress. I asked my fellow teammates for help on how to remove excess spacing and insert hyperlinks. This reinforced the importance of reviewing my work with a critical and thorough eye.

To my fascination, I enjoyed developing and creating each page of my Web Folio. In particular, the ‘Application Package’ page is my most favourite. This page showcases my resume, cover letter and reference letter requests for a research assistant position in proteomics that I hope to attain. I have never created a searchable resume before, so this was a useful and worthwhile skill. In addition, I love how my paper resume turned out. I always wanted to alter my resume to make it more appropriate for the professional world, but I never knew what changes I need to make. Now, I can present both resumes, scannable and paper, to any employer with confidence.

In the future, I can always change the layout of my Web Folio and alter the credentials according to a particular job or graduate school application. The change in colour, content and pictures will make my Web Folio appear fresh and maintained for all my readers.

Overall, the construction of a Web Folio was a wonderful experience because I learned another method, in addition to creating a LinkedIn profile, to expand my social networking skills. Throughout the process, I was able to improve by technical writing and editing skills that are necessary for both personal and academic growth.