ENGL 301 Team Application Letter

January 13, 2015

525 Austin Ave

Coquitlam, BC V3K 3M6

English 301 99C: Technical Writing

The University of British Columbia

2329 West Mall

Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4

Dear fellow ENGL 301 students:

In the interest of exploring exciting and challenging new opportunities, it is with great enthusiasm that I submit my application for a position on your professional writing team. I’m currently enrolled in my first year of the BCS (Bachelor of Computer Science) program, but I also graduated last May with a B.Sc. in Biology from UBC. Although my academic background is primarily rooted in science, my experience writing academic papers, lab reports, and working as a collaborative team member offline and online will make me an asset to your professional writing team.

I have previously worked as a returns and exchanges coworker at IKEA during the busiest season last summer, so I understand the importance of strong communication in a collaborative environment. In particular, I have dealt with several customer service case files, where I was responsible for mediating a mutual solution between the customer and IKEA through writing up cases explaining the situation clearly and succinctly so that resolutions can easily follow-up with the other parties involved. In addition, I’ve also volunteered as a business educator at Junior Achievement, where I was responsible for preparing hour-long lessons weekly to clearly communicate business basics to a classroom of elementary school students. The last class I taught was able to sell out their creation “Funcils” in less than fifteen minutes raising $320 to support education for underprivileged children in rural China. Therefore, my work and volunteer experience have strengthened my organization and communication skills.

The greatest strength I bring to your team is my attention to detail and experience writing academic papers. However, I’ve also volunteered before at ICORD, a spinal care research clinic, where I translated research papers into layman terms, so that the general public could easily comprehend the scientific findings. I’m a flexible, self-motivated, and actively engaged team player seeking a collaborative team. If my background and skillset suit your team, please contact me by email at lin.ruth@hotmail.com. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Ruth Lin

ENGL301 Application Letter