Posted by: | 20th Mar, 2011

ALWAYS TAKE RISKS!

Take Risks - Life has no meaning without them!

Risk-taking is often a crazy idea for some people. In fact, it was one for me just a short while ago. Yet, because of a leadership conference I attended a mere two years ago, I now utilize risk-taking on a regular basis. Though not from one particular person, a variety of speakers at this four day conference influenced me to always take risks.

Even though I now attend the University of British Columbia in the commerce program, this was not always the plan. Originally, I planned to attend York University, about a 20 minutes drive from my home. This plan was made because I was too afraid to leave home, I wanted to stay at home and live my comfortable life. However, hearing inspirational speakers at the conference as well as the experiences of many other business professionals, I was interested in experiencing new things. They, along with several other teachers at my high school always taught me to take risks; which makes life more fulfilling So, I applied to Simon Fraser University and UBC, hoping to get in and move my life from Aurora, ON to Vancouver. Being accepted by both schools, I left my friends, my comfortable home oriented life and moved to UBC, where I knew noone and had no family whatsoever within over 3000 km. Now that I am here though, I am experiencing so many new things; new cultures, new friends, and much more difficult skiing!

If it was not for these people, I may not have chosen to move here, and make my decision that Vancouver is where I want to live and work when I graduate, or learn so many valuable life lessons, living on my own (well, apart from family at least). If I had not taken a risk, I would not have been here, having the best time of my life, and getting a great education in the meantime. So, to sum up, ALWAYS TAKE RISKS!

Leave a response

Your response: