Task 5- The Twine Break-up

Task 5 – The Breakup

The break-up of any relationship is a process of realization that two people are not meant to be with one another.

In this Twine story, one person is breaking up with the other so the realization is not shared. Even the way we see a text begins to make us question what the reality of the situation actually is. Each pathway that makes up the story includes an image of a text. Each time, the words are given a different meaning by changing how they appear:

“Hey are you okay?

“I’m Fine…”

The words “I’m Fine” are written with three dots after the word fine. This shows a lack of finality.

In another version they are all CAPS.

In a third version, they are appended by a cute emoji that makes us all look at the words “I’m fine” and say “Oh good, you really are fine.”

While texting may seem to have dealt a blow to the overall concrete value you can place in a word or phrase because of how fast language evolves, it should not be viewed as a catastrophe for written language. Each phrase we type can be examined for innuendo, sarcasm or genuine truth. What this week’s reading made clear, was that what one person writes today may have a different meaning in the future. Helen Saltzman and her guest on the New Allusionist, Episode 102 made this very clear.

HERE IS THE LINK

Here is what the web of links looks like. I look at it and all I can think about is the airline maps in the free magazine they have on board every flight. Chicago must be that square right in the middle with all the flights heading into O’Hare.

Right click the image and hit “Open Image” to take a closer look. Left click to go to the story.

Twine Map
Twine Map