On Golden Record Curation

I am amazed how this course challenges me at every turn. Its practical part centers on everything I don’t do or have never done before. For example, I am not really into music, and here I am, listening to the tracks, contemplating their selection, and suggesting a new track for a next expedition to the stars.

First of all, I have to say that I understand the importance of the diverse folklore part in this selection; however, from the “history of music” point of view the choice seems questionable. And I am not talking about personal preferences now.

Back in the day, I got a pretty decent music education. In musical school we listened to and played ourselves the pieces of music created by the greatest composers, so, no objections whatsoever to Johann Sebastian Bach, the representative of the Baroque period. Out of the four most prominent composers from Classic period we have three on this record. The question is why does the list contain three pieces from Bach and none from Joseph Haydn? It is a huge mistake obvious for anyone who studied classical music professionally.

As for my current personal inclinations, I suggest to include a “Beethoven’s Symphony No.7 in A major, Op. 92, II Allegretto” into next Golden Record Collection. Though sometimes the tune does sound menacing, in general it is optimistic, energetic, and encouraging.

My selection of “Music from Earth” was based on my origin, gender, education, experience and musical preferences.

Thus Track No.4 from the rainforests of the Congo surprisingly reminded me the folk songs of Ukraine in melody and manner of performance.

Next, I am from Eastern Europe, so words like Azerbaijani or Georgian mean more to me than just a map location. A polyphony of a Georgian male choir (Track No.12) is quite a thing to enjoy.

In addition, I like Beethoven and therefore, I picked up all his compositions on the list.

Also, I used to play the violin, so I said Yes! to the instrument whenever I heard it, solo or in orchestra.

Besides, Tracks 5 and 20 sounded most unusual to my ear.

Finally, I chose two pieces out of compassion – Tracks No.23 and 26.

To sum up, I don’t really pay attention to music. I listen everything that other people listen on the radio or in the movie, and that is all. But the idea to send our terrestrial music to space as a part of introduction was nice and thoughtful. I appreciate the global humanistic projects like this.