2.3

A Summary of Home

I found Hannah‘s blog post resonating deeply with my own ideas of home through her story. Home is not specifically a place at the end of the day. Home cannot be converted into a standard family unit living in a typical way. Sometimes home is different and “that home does not have to look like a family you see on TV with the successful dad, the loving wife, the two kids, the token dog and cat, and the house with the two car garage and the barbecue”.

Alishae‘s post strikes a different chord in me. Home for me was Pakistan and Dubai too. Her narrative of moments in Lahore, a city I have visited, and quintessential things which every Pakistani will understand remind me again that home is not just the four walls which you sleep in. Home is, again, a collection of moments or pieces which all fit together and create a feeling. Home is the fan in the hot air, home is the curses we throw at the electricity people and the people in charge as we sit in sweltering heat waiting for the lights to come back on. Home is the small of home cooked biryani and the feeling of friends around you who have seen you grow up. Alishae’s blog post reminds me that home is not only places, but people and good food and cursing at electricity and the way the light shimmers in the hot Dubai air.

Timothy‘s story about home is fascinating because it reminds me that home is so changeable, so fluid that it can sneak up on us. Homes are sneaky, you don’t notice when you start calling a certain place home, even though you never meant to, even though you may not have wanted to. Home becomes something you are used to, something comfortable and steady. Home is something you understand, be it considered normal by societies standards or be it something uniquely yours!

Cheers,

Saarah