Shunning Plus-Size Customers: Lululemon’s Worst Strategy Yet?

Recently I came across an article exposing how Lululemon, in a way, discriminates plus-size customers by displaying only small numbers of large-size apparels in unattractive manner and providing only old designs for those sizes. It’s not merely an accident; Lululemon purposely do this so their brand is associated with fitness-conscious individuals.

I think this is a completely inappropriate brand image strategy for Lululemon as it is unethical to discriminate one over the other, ultimately the customers that ensure your profitability. The strategy alienates those with large body type, making them perceived as different or ‘uncommon’. This may, allegedly even, create body image issue and insecurities amongst those people, contributing creation of problems in the society. Furthermore, this may instead create a negative image for Lululemon, as current and potential customers feel that Lululemon do not appreciate differences in the society.

Reading through my classmates’ blog posts, I found that Darcy has similar issue brought up, which is a wrong marketing strategy of combining September 11th memorial with campaign for Blackberry Z10. Even though companies claim that they are doing these things without any intention of harming certain groups in the society, their strategies certainly proven to be incosiderate and unethical. Unethical business practices lead to negative reputation and hurt sales, as opposed to increase them.