Throughout my time in ENGL 301, I gained a strong understanding of technical writing guidelines and learned how to effectively apply them. As a result, my technical writing skills have significantly improved, and I have identified my strengths and weaknesses in this area, which will undoubtedly benefit my future professional development.

Moreover, this course has taught me that writing is an essential skill in any career path, but it holds even more significance in the non-profit sector I hope to pursue my future career in. Effective writing skills are crucial in grant writing, donation letters, and communication with various organizations, clients, and stakeholders. Thus, honing my writing skills has become even more important to me, as I aspire to contribute to non-profit organizations and create meaningful change in the world.

Strengths and Weaknesses

Strength Weakness Icon Stock Illustrations – 728 Strength Weakness Icon Stock Illustrations, Vectors & Clipart - Dreamstime

Completing this course has strengthened my ability to express my thoughts and ideas in a reflective tone that emphasizes flexibility and self-expression. However, I’ve learned that this tone may not always be suitable for assignments such as email memos and peer reviews, which have a more structured format and specific expectations. To address this, I’ve learned to adjust my tone and adopt the required “You” attitude when needed, resulting in more effective and impactful writing. Additionally, I’ve made sure to maintain an objective and professional tone in my formal reports.

One area I’m working on improving is my tendency to use too many words to convey a single meaning, which can lead to redundancy and disrupt the flow of the text. However, I value constructive feedback from both instructors and peers, and I’ve used it to greatly enhance my work, as evidenced by my assessments. While recognizing that writing skills require ongoing practice, I’ve grown as a writer by acknowledging my strengths and weaknesses, resulting in more polished and effective work.

My Writing and Career Goals

6,928 Group Writers Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock

This course has been instrumental in enhancing my communication skills in the workplace. I’ve become more conscious of the tone of my emails and take time to reflect on whether it’s appropriate and professional, or merely verbose. I also consider how to condense the information to make it more informative. Before I send an email, I think:

1. Is the tone appropriate for the context and audience?
  2. Is this a professional-tone email or just a wordy one?
  3. How can I condense this information so it is more informative?

These are aspects I previously overlooked, and I’ve seen a significant improvement in my communication skills as a result. I recognize the positive impact this course has already had in my workplace and other school assignments. With further practice and skill refinement, I hope to gain confidence in writing long documents and very short one. Additionally, the skills I learned in crafting a formal report will allow me to communicate complex topics cohesively and informatively, and analyze primary data in a meaningful way.