Looking back on the final unit of ENGL 301, I can’t help but feel a sense of reflection and contemplation. The task was to review, revise and reorganize almost all of our past writings into a comprehensive web folio and add new content, including reflection posts and visual aids. At first, the thought of going back and revisiting all of my previous assignments seemed daunting, but as I began the process, I realized just how much I had grown over the semester.

The opportunity to review my work allowed me to gain a clearer idea of my strengths and weaknesses as a writer, and I could see just how much progress I had made throughout the course. It was an intense task as there was a lot of information to revise and improve upon, but it was also exciting to see the end result of all the hard work I had put in. I have divided the next sections of the reflection of the main components of formatting the web folio.

Template and Outline

The first thing I needed to do for this assignment is to understand exactly what was required of me in order to proceed effectively. Looking back on my previous assignments, I identified a weakness I had that needed to be addressed – the importance of reading and understanding the assigned tasks thoroughly. To do combat this, I took my time and read through the instructions for the final unit, highlighting the key information such as the specific assignments that needed revision and the number of visuals and hyperlinks required. Once I felt that I had a solid understanding of the task at hand, I was able to move forward with greater confidence.

The next step was to consider which platform would be the best fit for my web folio. Given my limited technical expertise, I decided to stick with what I knew and created another blog on the UBC platform. I wanted to ensure that my blog was visually appealing and engaging for the reader, as I recognized that the first impression of my work was crucial. To accomplish this, I incorporated bright colours and visuals to complement my written content.

When considering which platform to use for my web folio, I applied one of the key lessons learned in Unit One of ENGL 301: always consider the audience. As my goal was to apply for jobs in the non-profit sector, my audience would be potential employers. Therefore, I designed the homepage of my web portfolio to use a professional tone, inline with guidelines provided by Technical Communication textbook, but attempted to also have an accompanying kind and welcoming tone fitted for the nature of work. Incorporating the section that showcases my marketable skills proved to be a valuable addition to my web portfolio, as it offers measurable evidence of the skills I have acquired through both academic and professional experiences.

Organization of Content

To ensure that my web folio was organized and easily accessible to the reader, I created a separate page for each required section of the assignment and posted the relevant content under each page. This allowed the reader to easily navigate through the different revised assignments with clear subheadings. All the pages are easily identifiable on the top of the website and arrows are present to indicate subheadings.

Next, I rearranged the pages to reflect the order described in the Home page description, creating a logical and cohesive flow to the web folio.

Recognizing that this assignment entailed multiple components, I created a checklist that included all the necessary information. As I progressed with the folio, I checked off the content that I had included. This allowed me to keep track of my progress and ensure that I didn’t overlook any elements.

Hyper-Links and Visual Aids 

As I built my web portfolio, I recognized the significance of integrating visual elements and maintaining consistent formatting to enhance the reading flow and effectively transmit information. By thoughtfully selecting suitable images, fonts, and color palettes, I succeeded in developing an attractive and sophisticated website. I paid attention to small details that could elevate the overall presentation. One of these details was adding an image of an email with an embedded hyperlink, which made it easy for visitors to contact me. Additionally, I ensured that the headings, paragraphs, and other text elements adhered to a uniform formatting style, thus creating a clean and sophisticated look. These design decisions not only improved the overall appeal of my web portfolio but also conveyed my personal brand and professionalism.

As I finalized my web folio, I couldn’t help but feel a sense of pride in all that I had accomplished. I gained valuable insights into the significance of audience consideration, tone, content organization, and visual design principles. I also learned how to effectively communicate in a digital space. The assignment may have been exhausting, but it was also incredibly rewarding. Looking back on it now, I can see just how much I have learned and grown as a writer.