Home

ENGL 301 is an online course about the principles of technical and business writing, discussing key elements, strategies and techniques that are used when composing professional texts. Students will learn how to create different types of business correspondences that are expressed in a way that is clear and informative for the intended audience. They will also have the opportunity to collaborate with fellow peers, providing constructive feedback on each other’s writing while incorporating suggestions into independent works.

Three major projects to be developed throughout the term are the formal report, job application package, and web folio. The web folio will include a Linked in profile and a website with a resume. Continuous editing of these assessments will develop self-editing skills and a deeper self reflection when analyzing one’s written works. Aside from working on these projects, there are smaller assignments to compose peer reviews, memos and self assessments. This will provide additional practice for applying writing techniques that will be introduced during the course.

Taking ENGL 301, I hope to improve my professional writing skills using the knowledge and experience that I gain from course materials and assignments. Learning how to create a strong job application package with be helpful when applying for jobs after graduation. I am also looking forward to learning how to effectively work with others in order to produce a professional document.

After graduating from UBC, I plan to apply what I have learned from this course when working in the tech industry. As a software engineer, some tasks that will require technical and business writing skills are creating documentation for newly developed computer applications and providing constructive feedback to team members in a professional manner. I will also need to adapt email or chat messages based on my relationship with the intended recipient, such as my manager or fellow developer.