Assignment 1:5

Stories are dangerous, as some say, but maybe it’s the person who tells such stories to conjure fear, panic, havoc, and worst of all, evil, which is truly dangerous. Who might this person be, you ask? And is it even a person? Well, if you continue reading, you’ll find out. 

A weightless yet tangible entity, not quite a human being for it was light as dust and pure of soul, was floating through a beautiful garden filled with white roses and peonies. All entities lived in harmony and peace, and they closely resembled one another in gender, race, shape, and form since there was no such thing as distinctions or rankings. Now, you need to understand that these entities only knew what each other looked like, they did not know their own appearance because any reflective object or substance was not of existence. Now, to return to this secluded entity called Good, came across a large wooden door blanketed by hanging ivy. On this door was a heavy metal lock secured over the latch, but Good was not in the least bit concerned with this big lock since the wood that made up the door was poorly constructed. With one push, the door came crumbling apart. Beyond the door was an empty area overgrown with weeds and dying flowers. Good had never seen such a terrible sight and was about to leave when it saw a tall shiny structure in the far corner of the space. Good slowly made its way over and was pleasantly surprised to find another entity staring right back at it. Except the entity didn’t say anything, it didn’t even move. So Good reached out its hand to greet this peculiar entity, but Good’s hand hit something firm. What Good didn’t know was that it had found the only mirror in all the universe that was created before the entities, but because all entities had no knowledge of such a creation, Good was very confused and scared. After several minutes of staring at itself in the mirror, Good, who was very clever, realized it was its own reflection staring back. 

The next day, Good returned to the strange object and spent hours on end enjoying the sight of itself, and after a few days past, Good wasn’t able to leave its reflection. Suddenly, in the bright and early morning, the reflection made an unusual face and spoke in a voice that was not Good’s own. 

“I am going to tell you a story, and you’re going to listen. My name is Evil, and now that you’ve become acquainted with self-obsession and vanity, you will understand the story.” So Evil told Good all things terrible, sickening, frightening, and unpleasant, all things that encompassed Evil. After listening to the story, Good backed away from the mirror to try to escape it. This was silly because no matter where Good went, Evil would be there. It was now a part of Good. 

“I don’t like your stories, take back what you said. I don’t want to remember what you told me!” Pleaded Good. But it was too late. For once a story is told, it cannot be called back. And so Evil was created by Good’s narcissism, and that, readers, is how evil came into the world. 

When choosing how to retell this story, The Picture of Dorian Grey immediately popped into my head since the role of an evil double seemed suitable as the conjurer of bringing evil into the world. As well, the idea of narcissism and vanity as representing “evil,” whoever or whatever evil may be, tangible or invisible, was a suitable fit, and the use of a mirror, rather than a portrait, acts as a metaphor of a reflection into one’s soul. 

I found it a little challenging memorizing the entire story at first, but after repeating it to my sister multiple times, it was like describing my favourite book. However, as others have already mentioned, each time I told the story, I either added, excluded, or changed an element of it, which reflects the notion of storytelling. Stories have such a significant impact on us whether we recognize it or not, and understanding that even though the structure of stories can change over time, the overall message or idea remains intact. 

Williams, Zoe. “Me! Me! Me! Are we living through a narcissism epidemic?” The Guardian, March 2, 2016, https://www.theguardian.com

Ross, Alex. “How Oscar Wilde Painted Over ‘Dorian Grey’” The New Yorker, August 1, 2011. https://www.newyorker.com.

3 thoughts on “Assignment 1:5

1. Hey guys, I just realized I didn’t underline my hyperlinks- the first link is the word narcissism located in the last sentence of my story, and the second link is the italicized novel “The Picture of Dorian Grey” in the following paragraph!

2. Hi Samantha,
    It’s so interesting how retelling a story can change it so much. As I was writing my story, I found that I had gone through at least a dozen iterations before I had settled on a story that I felt comfortable retelling reliably. I really enjoy the way you introduced Evil, being a person of power that brings evil into the world. It’s thought provoking that evil isn’t something that existed to be known. We could just ignore evil, in blissful ignorance. But, like story suggests, evil exists in all of us, and it’s only until we realize its existence that we notice it impact on us. And unlike a store, we can’t return it if we don’t like it anything. We just have to accept it and live with it, no matter how tough it can be. In another comment I made, I asked a peer if knowledge should be withheld for the sake of safety, and this is sort of similar. Stories we tell can be entertaining, and informative, but it can also be a reflection of ourselves. We weave our knowledge and perception as we write, creating things new and old. As such, should we look to our stories to find ourselves and do you think about how we influence our stories? I hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers

Aran Chang

3. Hi Aran,

Thanks for your comment! That’s a really interesting question, and I’m glad you asked me because I hadn’t given it much thought before. Since I have a passion for writing creatively, from personal experience, I think it’s safe to say that we should definitely look to our stories to find ourselves. Whether it be stories, that we have created ourselves, or stories we’ve grown up with that have shaped our perspectives of certain things and had a significant impact on our life. When you create a story, the thoughts, ideas, details, language, and descriptions are all your own, hopefully, but are also shaped by what you know through the knowledge you’ve attained during your life. Stories are like little windows inside your head, and sometimes they reveal things that you may not have even been aware of yourself.