Midterm Assignment

Here are my three favourite posts I’ve done so far!

Assignment 2.4

For this assignment, I answered question 1 in lesson 2:2 that asked the reasoning behind King’s use of dichotomies when narrating two different creation stories; one merely a story and the other a religious account. For me, I found that this question really challenged my pre-conceived notion of what defines the believability of one story over the other and how much religion and culture can impact that perception. Since I come from a Catholic family, I was raised to understand the importance and significance of the story of Genesis versus other creation stories that are simply stories. Yet when reconsidering why certain stories have precedence over others, it definitely brought about a new insight into why these dichotomies are in place, which I discuss in my post!

Assignment 2.2

I really liked this blog assignment because I, like many others, have a very non-traditional view of what home means to me. And by non-traditional, I mean not defining home as a single building or place that you’ve known your whole life, one room that’s always been yours, etc. For me, home was moving from place to place, continually changing, re-arranging, packing, unpacking, and building new relationships. Not to say that this isn’t a bad way of growing up, but through this process, I found it confusing and at times saddening when I tried to think of where home was for me. Since my parents divorced at a young age, that notion became very different, but I eventually realized what I felt home was. This question had me bringing up old memories and feelings that I haven’t confronted in a while!

Assignment 1.5

This blog post is, by far, my favourite and probably one of the most enjoyable questions I’ve had to answer in a while. As I mentioned in my introductory blog post, I love to write creatively, so coming up with a story of my own had me very excited (clearly). I enjoyed reading all the other adaptations, and it really allowed me to open up my imagination and play with different ideas, all the while allowing me to understand the process of storytelling and the impact it has on others. I felt connected to the course through this post!