Unit two Reflection

In the past month, I am still continuing to learn, practice, and review my technical writing skills,  especially on presenting myself in multiple ways using written English and writing a proposal and its detailed progress for a research topic.

Firstly, it’s really fun to create a professional social media site about myself. In order to get more potential views, thus more opportunities in job searching and networking, I thought about how to catch people’s eyes when they skim through my site. I did this by making the summary personal about myself so that it can be unique and easy to remember.

Secondly, It’s great to have an opportunity to write a formal report on this course. For me, It can not only train my professional writing skills but also help examine my responsibility to society. The task was to find something that can be improved in a societal entity, such as an organization or a company. What I did was trying to find a way to convince more families with private cars to use the electric car rental service in Shanghai, in order to reduce the pollution caused by vehicles that burn gasoline. When I first wrote my proposal, I didn’t research the potential audience of this proposal, thus writing too many unnecessary details about my previous research to make the proposal hard to understand. With the suggestions of Dr. Paterson, I edited my proposal so that it becomes clearer and more professional.

Finally, I reviewed my partner’s Shuge’s work, and he also reviewed mine. It was really interesting reading his proposal about recycling. It surprised me that sometimes recycling can cause an undesirable influence on the environment. By reading his proposal, I also find some structural problem that I also have when writing my proposal. Also, by reading his peer review of my proposal, I find that there’s something that I didn’t explain well for my intended audience. To sum up, I gained a lot from this peer review process.

Here is my revised Report Proposal:

Revised proposal

Here is the peer review I received:

https://blogs.ubc.ca/engl301-99a-2020wa/2020/10/21/peer-review-of-formal-report-proposal-2/