Task 1: Brown BAG Project

Brown BAG Project

I hate purses, but as women’s clothing doesn’t really have pockets, I carry around this “wallet on a string.” I may have to change it though as my phone is too big to stuff in in now.

•  What is your daily need for the items in your bag? 
    The mask and keys are the most important. I typically use cards on my phone, so these exist as backup. I used my Compass card more often, but as I’m on mat leave and with Covid I haven’t been going out much.
  • How might these items be considered “texts” and what do they say about you, the places you inhabit, the cultures with which you engage, and/or the activities you take up?
    The items are easy to point out that I live in Vancouver. The pile of postage tags are for items sent out to AB and MB, showing I have ties outside where I am now. The mask probably says something about my personality too.
  • Thinking about the title of the course, what are the “text technologies” in your bag, if any? What do these items say about how you engage with language and communication?
    I’m at a loss on this one. I guess I might have more to say about it later on in the course.
  • What do the items in your bag say about the literacies you have?
    The library card would say that I have traditional literacy. The tiny metal phone pick thingy would indicate that I have some technical literacy as well. Boat, and bus/train tickets, driver’s licence, bike keys etc would state that I have some multi-modal transportation literacy as well.
  • How does the narrative of the (private) contents of your bag compare with the narrative produced by image you have of yourself or the image you outwardly project?
    This small bag makes me look like an organized minimalist. Which is actually hilarious.
  • What would this same bag have looked like, say, 15 or 25 years ago?
    15 years ago I was in a digital multimedia college program and doing fine arts, so my regular bag was a wheeled duffle-bag. I had a lot of text books and art supplies as well as some food rations. So, pretty much the exact opposite of this. 25 years ago my bag would have contained a giant binder, my pokemon cards, a pikachu stuffy, sheet music, and a bunch of candy.
  • How do you imagine an archeologist aiming to understand this temporal period might view the contents of your bag many years in the future?
    The mask would really help place the bag in a timeline. They might laugh at taking physical books out of a library too.