Task 6: An emoji story

1. Did you rely more on syllables, words, ideas or a combination of all of them?

I used a combination of words and ideas. I didn’t want this to be a rebus puzzle, but a telling of the story. If someone is unable to read traditional text, then they wouldn’t be able to interpret syllables. Some things did not have an emoji equivalent, so I had to use an approximation. I feel like the “back” arrow might be cheating slightly, but even without the text I would still have used the same symbol.

2. Did you start with the title? Why? Why not?

I started with the title to help situate my movie. I feel like this is hard enough to guess as it is, plus the example showed the title so I followed that.

3. Did you choose the work based on how easy would it be to visualize?

I stayed true to the assignment and did the last movie that I watched as opposed to my favourite movie. (Although this one is one of my favourites as well.) I think this movie was very difficult to visualize, but I’m sure I would have had a difficult time in most situations. I do like how this is a kid-friendly movie though so it’s something I could potentially do with my students and use this as an example.