Subway has a good brand position

As I was reading my pre-readings for Comm101, I came across reading about Subway changing their target market from fast food brand to healthy fast food brand. The main difference between fast food like McDonalds and Subway is Subway had a spoke person who had lost over 200 pounds by following a diet from Subway sandwiches. This reminded me of the show “The Biggest Loser” as it showed the contestants that Subway can be the “to-go” alternative instead of eating greasy foods from McDonalds.

Recently, McDonalds is trying to capture the healthy people category so McDonalds began to make salads, fruit smoothies, wraps and sandwiches. To be honest, people will not think of salads and sandwiches at McDonalds. McDonalds has the biggest reputation of greasy foods. I remember seeing McDonalds sandwiches on TV and in stores, however, it didn’t go well. I was too afraid to try the sandwiches as McDonalds has the brand image of junk food. The fruit smoothies at McDonalds seems to go well as it’s still selling today! The fruit smoothies are selling because it’s an alternative to soda fountain drinks. People would pay more for a healthy choice. I can conclude that brand recognition is very important!

Read more about Subway here (page 3):
http://fcis.vdu.lt/~n.klebanskaja@evf.vdu.lt/fov1-00098617/FOV1-0009D4C0/KEVIN-~1.PDF