Linking Post #1

I have chosen my first linking assignment submission to link to Tyler Senini’s Task #6, which can be found HERE and my Task #6 which can be found HERE

I have found similarities and differences between our Task 6 entries, along with the overall design of his web space and how that affects the end-user, in this case, me.

Connections or Non-connections:

I chose this link because of how differently we approached the emoji description of the tv-shows that we chose, yet both shows have their own commonalities.

Firstly, let’s look at common traits:

1. The titles were 3 words – Little Fires Everywhere vs 13 Reasons Why
  2. They have been labeled as binge-worthy tv-shows on Netflix
  3. They touch on relevant, serious content for today’s youth – Racism/White Privilege vs Suicide/Anxiety/Rape
  4. Each title was depicted by the TV emoji to start
  5. Each plot contained words and ideas as the basis for the emojis chosen, rather than syllables

When I initially looked at Tyler’s story I was jealous that his title was so simple to reproduce in emoji form. Whereas with my story, there was no emoji to easily depict “reasons.” I had wanted to use the number 13, but I figured that was cheating since I was basically spelling it out. Then I tried to use all the seasons, but that was just confusing! What I also noticed about our methods was that we both started with the title and moved onto the plot next. What I found was more interesting was that our reasoning for starting with the title was quite different. With Tyler, he found it the easiest, and with myself, I like starting at the beginning regardless of the challenge that awaits. I think this also says something about the way we tackle tasks in our lives and I wonder if Tyler always chooses what’s easy first? And if so, what does that say about him, if anything? What does that say about me? If I had to guess, I might think it has something to do with my childhood and the challenges that I faced and overcame. I like doing things in order, and if the first thing is the most challenging, I’m okay with that. Thoughts for another time maybe.

Now let’s move on to the uncommon facts:

1. Tyler used words to depict his title vs I used ideas to depict my title
  2. Tyler explained the entire storyline of the whole season vs I explained only the basic premise of the first season
  3. Tyler used his iPhone to create his emoji story vs I used a webtool, emojikeyboard.io to create mine
  4. Tyler based his story off the available emojis and therefore left out words vs I used every emoji I wanted to
  5. Tyler chose this show because he enjoyed it so much vs I chose this show because it was the last one I watched
  6. Tyler has a black background for his emoji story vs I have a white background for mine

I think one of the most notable differences between mine and Tyler’s stories is the use of the emoji’s for our plot. Tyler really went into detail explaining most of the entire season and had 16 lines, whereas mine only had 4. When I think of the plot, I think of the main events of the story in sequential order. Although Tyler did this, I’m not sure he had to go into such detail to describe the plot of each episode, rather than the plot of the tv show itself. Possibly, because he enjoyed the show so much, and the fact that he noted how much he enjoys using emojis with his friends, leads me to believe that Tyler wouldn’t have done this task any other way. While I throw around the occasional heart eyes or shocked face emoji, I wouldn’t consider myself someone who is an avid emoji-user. I like using words and have never felt uncomfortable with saying exactly how I feel. I often wonder if the use of emojis gives people the opportunity to hide behind a word, like some people who often hide behind their screen. Then again, it could also provide another means of communication too.

End-user interface

When I first visited Tyler’s blog I was immediately intrigued by the featured photo as it reminded me of the one I had chosen for my webspace. I had high hopes since we clearly both have a love for mountains, however, my hopes soon disappeared when I began scrolling down his blog to find a completely opposite picture of what looks like the plains in Alberta. Sigh.

Though this was interesting, my main concern here was how the web-authoring tool that he used, though the same as mine, differed so greatly in how it was produced for the end-user and the literacies that are denied because of this. When you visit Tyler’s site you initially see the beautiful picture of what looks like the Athabasca Glacier in the Columbia Icefields. Then when you begin scrolling down, you will see the picture of what I can assume are wheat fields, but this picture doesn’t stop. As you scroll through each of the tasks listed, the picture follows you and so does the text. Not only does this make it challenging to read because as you scroll the photo moves with text, but also in my opinion, visually unappealing. His site denies the ability of the user to read seamlessly without distraction. Of course, every user is different and approaches the interface that was created differently, but I believe that when I look at my site design, versus Tylers, that it is more end-user friendly.