3.1: A Nation of Nations

For this blog assignment, I would like you to research and summarize one of the state or governing activities, such as The Royal Proclamation 1763, the Indian Act 1876, Immigration Act 1910, or the Multiculturalism Act 1989 – you choose the legislation or policy or commission you find most interesting. Write a blog about your findings and in your conclusion comment on whether or not your findings support Coleman’s argument about the project of white civility.

If I had to describe the Canada that I was raised in I would say that it is a nation of nations. I never really knew just one governing body or race growing up, and I probably wouldn’t have known the difference between races had I not been taught to recognize them and their stereotypes. But this nation that I know, or should I say knew, is not what it always intended to be.

The Canadian Immigration act of 1910 states in this article, “Racism in Canadian Immigration Policy”, that the act “quite boldly gave Cabinet power to prohibit immigrants belonging to any race” (Matas, 8). Though it specifies “any race”, the act was very selective with which races they chose to exclude. Europeans were the favoured immigrants due to their ‘white’ status, while Asians were highly discriminated against. Up until the act’s abolition in 1962, several laws were made that prohibited and discriminated against different races, including head taxes and entry fees for Asians and the exclusion, deportation or containment of certain races around and during the time of the two World Wars for “political” reasons. In the Court of Appeal, J. A. McPhillips stated about unwanted immigrants that:

“In their own interests their proper place of residence is within the confines of their respective countries in the continent of Asia, not in Canada, where their customs are not in vogue and their adherence to them here only gives rise to disturbances destructive to the well being of society…” (Matas, 8).

To comprehend that a statement like this came from a law within Canada seems unfathomable to me, but probably only because I have been ignorant to the history and racism of our country. I have been fortunate enough to have grown up in a safe, supportive and fair community, but that experience had perhaps sheltered me from the facts of where we came from. Out of this statement I was particularly struck by the word “destructive”. At one time, this country generalized entire races as dangerous to our way of life. It took years for them to recognize the hypocrisy of their own actions.

Professor Paterson’s blog notes Daniel Coleman’s opinion that claims that a specific form of whiteness emerged in Canada that was developed by the influence of the British. Furthermore, that Coleman displays a lineage of Canadian whiteness that remains influential in Canadian thinking and literature to this day. I feel that Coleman’s argument is largely supported, not just by the example of the Immigration Act, but also by the Indian Act of 1876 and various other racial laws of the past century. So the question is, is white civility still a concept that society still supports and follows? Though I feel we may not see it as blatantly as we once did, I think that Coleman’s argument is still supported. Racism is still very much apparent whether or not we truly recognize it. Every single day I hear people labeled as brown, Asian, Native, black, but I never catch someone saying “look at that white girl over there”. My point is, we still put a label on people who are not white whether or not they are Canadians. So before I said that I saw Canada as a nation of nations, I still stand by that and I believe many would agree that we are a very multicultural country, however, I will add that though the presence of many cultures are welcome, “white people” are still favoured by this country.

Work Cited:

Matas, David. “Racism in Canadian immigration policy.” Refuge: Canada’s Journal on Refugees 5.2 (1985). http://pi.library.yorku.ca/ojs/index.php/refuge/article/viewFile/21485/20160

Paterson, Erika. “Lesson 3:1.” ENGL 470A Canadian Studies Canadian Literary Genres 99C Jan 2015. 1 March. 2015. Web. <https://blogs.ubc.ca/courseblogsis_ubc_engl_470a_99c_2014wc_44216-sis_ubc_engl_470a_99c_2014wc_44216_2517104_1/unit-3/lesson-3-1/>

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/racism-still-an-uncomfortable-truth-in-canada-duncan-mccue-1.2831066

4 Responses to 3.1: A Nation of Nations

1. erikapaterson says:

I really enjoyed reading this blog, from beginning to end. Your concise and personable voice is admirable; yes, an excellent blog, thank you. There are a few difficulties with phrasing here and there – be sure to proof read your final paper with more diligence for expression, thanks ☺
    *note: my name has an unusual spelling – with a single ‘t’: Paterson

2. SarahCasorso says:

Thanks professor! I am sorry about the misspelling! I’ve changed it now. I would agree this blog could use some refining and rephrasing. I’ll get on it!

3. Joey Levesque says:

Hey Sarah – it was nice meeting you the other day!
    I thought I’d quickly comment on two things I noticed; the first being you mentioned discrimination against Asians in the early 20th c.. Did you know we had race riots in Vancouver in that same decade? (1917-18 if I recall correctly) Also worth taking a look at are the WWII internment camps. A couple terms to google: Gold Mountain, CPR, Chinese family organizations (a lot of these buildings are still standing in Chinatown. There’s a term for them, but I can’t remember it).

Another thing – I actually hear ‘white boy’ and ‘white girl’ all the time. This may not be as true in Vancouver, but I’ve heard it (and have used it) before. Think Starbucks, “I can’t even”, that movie White Chicks, Mean Girls (“You can’t just ask people why they’re white!”), all these. I don’t take offence, even when the statement isn’t meant in jest.

A recent adventure in race: as you know I was in Texas recently and was accosted by a group of black teenagers that told me I better have voted for President Obama (lol). I told them I was Canadian but I’d have voted for Mr. Obama if I could. I notice a lot more racism in exclusion than I do hate speech, and I think Canadians have legislated our ‘polite’ nature a bit in that regard; race is visible in Canada (well, Vancouver, not so much Toronto / Montreal) in a different way than in the States.

Something that might interest you – the people behind Block Party this year included a “cultural appropriation” provision – you can’t wear clothes that aren’t of your culture. What’s my culture? Who are they to tell me what I can and can’t wear? For that matter who are they to tell me what my culture (note the singular) is?

Cheers!
    Joey

4. SarahCasorso says:

Hey Joey,

Thanks for the comment, lots of great points there! You know, you’re completely right about the “white thing”, I do hear it around and yet I would never take offence to it so maybe it just doesn’t register as something people say.

I had actually taken a Canadian studies in my third year and our theme was Vancouver so I got to learn a bunch of history I otherwise might have never known and the race riots, chinatown, viaducts, etc. were all part of it! I only vaguely remember though so thanks for the reminder!

Anywho, I should probably get started on that dialogue… 😉

Sarah