Posted by: | 22nd Sep, 2010

Rwandan surveys

Hi everyone,

I really enjoyed hearing what everybody had to say on Rwanda yesterday – it’s fun to hear so many different perspectives from people with lots of different backgrounds and experience!

Something I found interesting in the readings in the Rwanda Demographics Healt Survey was the often lack of correspondence between what people say and what they do. I found this particularly prominent in the chapter on HIV/AIDS, where surveys would be taken on AIDS prevention, etc., and in theory, a (generally) high percentage of people knew the risks involved in not using protection, the importance of using condoms, etc., but still failed to put this knowledge into practice. I was surprised, for example, to see that more men than women (marinally, but still) saw it as necessary to wear condoms, however, in practice, I imagine that this is not really the case… Also, there was a pole taken on whom people thought it was appropriate to sleep with, and, not surprisingly, the high 90 percentile of people said that people should be monogamous, just sleeping with their significant other. However, in surveying people on the habits of people they knew, this obviously turned out to be untrue that people lived by their ideals/standards of sleeping with one parner. This is a truth that is worldwide, of course – that people don’t act as they know they ought.

This just got me thinking that even with education (and of course I think it’s absolutely essential), it takes a long time for habits to actually change. It’s frustrating, though, because we see that it’s harmful, people know it’s harmful and dangerous themselves, and yet these trends persist.

What do you think?

Elise

Responses

Hi Elise,

I definitely agree and wish we had more time to talk about the demographic health survey. I was particularly surprised at the Domestic Violence section, and thought it related to how we were talking about stigmas and challenges to healing from collective sexual violence.

I was surprised at the prevalence of domestic violence (particularly sexual violence) and wonder to what degree it acts as as a detriment to moving forward and away from instances of CSV during the genocide.

Interesting! I’m just speculating here, but taking those really high rates of domestic violence as indicative of a lack of empathy (by men) for women’s suffering, it must be a pretty serious obstacle to making any progress on the issue of past CSV. Respect of a woman’s own self, her agency and the ownership of her body are part and parcel to this issue.

I wanted to mention one thing I noticed in the domestic violence section. In the section concerning reports of domestic violence since age 15, the average was about a 30% yes across all economic quintiles! 30.2% in the lowest quintile and 29.0% in the highest!

That is a statistical tie across economic backgrounds, which I found really interesting considering our previous discussions about economic growth as one of the strongest forces of stability in a post-conflict zone.

In this case, at least, it doesn’t seem like socioeconomic status has a tremendous impact on decreasing violence against women. Of course I don’t think domestic violence is going to cause a relapse into civil conflict, but at those rates it is pretty persistent violence nonetheless.

This thought just sort of highlighted for me how complex post conflict development is, and the serious limitations that come with any one approach to it.

The topic of domestic violence is a really interesting one. A sad and unfortunate thing I’ve come across is that violence towards one’s wife or girlfriend is skewed and seen as an act of love. I can’t remeber the article I read on this topic, but I believe the ethnography took place in Mozambique. There was a strong desire from women that their boyfriends/husbands beat them, as an indicator of how much they loved them. If a man was not beating his woman, she would begin to worry that he did not care about her. Of course, I don’t know if this is a prevalent mentality in Rwanda…

There is this short article on BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3798873.stm

It has lots of comments from people in Africa on their view of domestic violence, etc. I found the first comment interesting: the woman says, “often we (Africans) do not know when we are being abused”. There are lots exprssing different views, of course, as well.

Jules, I think you’re right in speculating that this could be an obstacle in addressing CSV experienced during the genocide.

Brady, that is really intersting that domestic violence hardly fluctuates no matter what the socioeconimic backgound. I hadn’t noticed that. It does make you wonder what is going to make the difference?

Leave a response

Your response:

Browse

Recent Posts