Posted by: | 13th Oct, 2010

Privatized Military Firm

Hey guys!

This is the article that I was talking about in class. Ok, so I can’t seem to upload it.  It’s by P.W. Singer and called Corporate Warriors: The Rise of Privatized Military Industry and Its Ramifications for International Security (pages 186-220).

Private Military Firms (PMFs) are profit-driven organizations that trade in professional services intricately linked to warfare.  PMFs emerged at the end of the cold war due to a gap in the security market, transforming the nature of warfare.  They operate as companies and are thus profit-driven endeavors. They provide logistics, operational support and post-conflict resolution.

James had compared them to mercenaries in class and I specifically looked it up in the article.  Singer states that mercenaries differ from PMFs as mercenaries often demand payment in hard cash and cannot be relied on beyond the short term.

How would the situation change in Uguanda if PMFs were hired by the Ugandan government to help alleviate the LRA?

Thoughts??

Responses

I like that you have brought this up because it is something that will certainly divide the public…and thus, make for great discussion!
I know very little about PMF’s but I would still be wary about them. Like James had said, they don’t appear to be accountable to anyone.
Clearly they care about getting their job done and demonstrating long term commitment, but at the end of the day they are still “hired guns” who can essentially do whatever they want. Furthermore, if they were to commit atrocities in these areas it would likely make locals suspicious of future peacekeeping forces if needed.
However, at the end of the day it would likely get the job done- after 26 years of conflict, enough is enough. It would be ideal if they could get a UN/AU monitored force with military capabilities but that rarely seems to happen for countries like Uganda.
I would like to know more about these PMF’s but I certainly do find it interesting. The one advantage about them is they would likely be a neutral actor in the conflict.

Interesting stuff Felice

Leave a response

Your response:

Browse

Recent Posts