What does family mean to you?

As today was the first day after all my midterms finished, I wasted time relaxed was by watching part of a drama series called “Seoyoung, My Daughter“. I had a master plan to catch up and get ahead on readings but Seoyoung, My Daughter really hooked me in.  The story of Seoyoung, My Daughter has so much emotional impact that I teared up multiple times. The complicated relationship between the daughter, son and father brings up questions such as

• whether love for your family can truly be unconditional
  • when do you choose morals over personal happiness and when do you put happiness first
  • are you responsible for the mistakes (e.g. gigantic debt)  of your loved ones
  • What do I value in life? and in what order? specifically of family, love, career, money
  • Is money that important?  (This story proposes that money is both important and unimportant.)
  • If you always make morally upright decision, why do you always get the short end of the stick in life?
  • how many more times can these actors make me cry?

Morals of the story:

• All lies will unravel. The truth will always come out.
  • Life is full of tough decisions
  • AND everyone does things that hurt others
  • Those who love you will love you nonetheless
  • Parents love their children unconditionally
  • Children love their parents
  • People don’t always show their love obviously but it doesn’t mean that they don’t care and love you.
  • Love is caring for them, wanting them to live well. The simple things like eating enough, sleeping enough, being warm, not being sick, hurt, sad.
  • Live how you want to live. Don’t let pressure from your parents, spouse, siblings, society dictate the way you live if that way of life makes you miserable.
  • Letting go of bitterness from the past will allow you to be happy.
  • You can choose to be happy.
  • Being rich doesn’t guarantee happiness.
  • There are times when you just can’t change the situation and you lose.
  • Take one for the team.
  • Don’t be greedy. You feel happy if you’re satisfied with what you have. If you always want more, you’ll never be happy.
  • If someone has emotional scars, don’t force them to talk about it. Everyone deserves to keep something to themselves.
  • Siblings are the best and will be there for you through thick and thin.
  • People have their reasons. Seek to understand before you judge.

A question that I keep asking myself is why do I like this story so much. I think it’s because I identify with the struggles of the characters very well. Family is extremely important to me. Just like the twins, I would do almost anything for my little brother because he’s my brother and I love him. Though I don’t always agree with my dad, I love him too. I cried so much when the mother died. (Not a spoiler since she dies right at the beginning).

In my opinion, this story captured the complicated unbreakable nature of family love well but the romantic love portrayed was unrealistically.

Readers, what do you think about family?