Transcribed Interview and Analysis

Reflection:

One of the reasons I entered the MET programme was to learn more about how technology could be effectively used with lower primary and early years students, but I soon dropped that inquiry, there was not a lot of literature available in that area and I no longer teach that age group. My focus shifted to using technology effectively and differentiated learning, trying to meet the needs of a diverse group of learners. As I inquire into this situation, I have a clearer understanding of what it means to bring technology into education. I tend to use the words augment, enhance and transform in my discussions, but I use them without context. Each context is different, for early years it is about creating multi-sensory experiences and for science and math, it is about clearing misconceptions, which often involves helping students visualize concepts.

I don’t think good technology necessarily means it can be used with a vast range of users, but it should be able to generate discussion. Giving students clear-cut definitions and explanations is simple, but does not benefit the students. As seen in some of the earlier discussions, concepts in science and math are built upon as students move through the school system. Students need to be aware of this need to be flexible so they can adjust their understanding as they (and the world) make new discoveries. Misconceptions are connected to the words we use, so for my inquiry, I am shifting to examine how technology can be used to support understanding of science terms, so this is not limited to EAL learners, but to all students.