Reply to: Sustainable Business Initiatives Will Fail Unless Leaders Change Their Mindset

Harvard Business Journal had an interesting post on corporate social responsibility and business sustainability.
It enlightens the point that business leaders see the relationship between nature and business as separate and not intertwined, which is called a isolated mindset in the article. I agree with the points Jib Ellison and Ram Nidumolu put across that most businesses view the portion of the relationship that can be quantitatively measured and analyzed (e.g. the return of investment on sustainability efforts).

I also agree with the point where they talk about where businesses that are successful in sustainability have an integrated mindset, a mindset which views the quantitative, qualitative and things beyond the legal system in which the business and nature relationship are intertwined together. For example this mindset would look at the value of nature to the indigenous people of the land.

In my opinion businesses should try and create a shared value where they innovate their products, productivity in value chain and build supportive industry clusters to achieve sustainability and expand social and economic value. The triple bottom line tool can be used, however businesses need to go one step further and focus on the both quantitative, qualitative and contextual factors.