Photo Gallery: Embroidery Samples/Project

My embroidery sampler stitches:

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/stitches-every-embroiderer-should-know-4122123

These are my stitches (from top to bottom):

running, back, stem, whipped, chain, french knot (flower) with a split stitch stem, satin (leaf), couched (slower with a v-stitched stem, leaf stitch

“Home Sweet Home” Project:

For this project we were asked to consider how the ubiquitous “Home Sweet Home” embroidery trope may be turned on it’s assumptions in such a way as to have us reconsider the notion of home.  I chose to focus on the idea of homelessness. For my project, I embroidered the phrase “Home Sweet Home” but changed the “Sweet” to “Street”.  I also added the phrase so often seen on cardboard signs, held up by the homeless, “will work for food”.  I kept the image pretty, in keeping with such wall hangings, but added a small tent on one side, to indicate that the home in question was in fact part of one of the tent communities we see in public parks. The message I hope to convey is that the street is home to many people, and that these people probably once had dreams of a gentler, more comfortable, “sweeter” life.  I wanted my embroidery to have people stop and think of their blessings and consider the lives of those less-fortunate.

My preliminary sketch for this project: