Unit 2 Reflection Blog

In Unit Two, I learned how to set up LinkedIn profiles,  how to write a proposal, formal report outline, and progress report. I enjoyed this unit very much because the assignments are very practical, and I think the skills I learned from these assignments could be used in my other field of study as well.

The assignment that I most enjoy writing is the formal proposal. It is rare in other classes that students could select a topic they are interested in writing. My proposal is ” Purchase wheelchair attachable shopping carts in DaRunFa supermarket”, I was inspired by the list of the topics that the 301-Hand-out-Formal-Report provided me. I think that these topics are all trying to benefit people, so I wanted to write something that may potentially improve handicapped people as well. Luckily, because I worked at DaRunFa before, I am able to set up a meeting with my former manager, and I am excited to hear my former manager say that this idea is really good, and he will think about it once I finish my formal report. I didn’t expect my school project could actually be useful in real life, and I am very glad that I took this course, which will not only help me to write in a more professional way but also help me to think about how I could make difference in my workplace. With this experience, I might be more confident in the future to bring about change.

I also would like to thank my groupmate for reviewing my proposal. I think peer review is very useful because my group member’s suggestions allow me to see my work more objectively, they are able to see mistakes that I cannot see. And when I am peer-reviewing, I am also learning new things such as style (organization), grammar, structure, and how to address the intended audience.

Setting up a LinkedIn profile is a new experience for me, I think I might continue to use this profile in the future when I am actually working. I am surprised that I have already received emails about offering me a job.

In sum, in Unit Two I learned many valuable things, and I have grown to appreciate that school projects are not only limited in the academic realm, but also in real life.