Unit 1 Reflection Blog 

Unit 1 Reflection Blog 

In Unit 1, I learned how to write an application letter, memos, emails, types of definitions of a technical term, and peer review. What a productive unit!  The application letter assignment allows me to reflect on my strengths and weaknesses in writing, I learned that when writing an application, we as applicants, must think about how to “market” ourselves to other people. In this unit, I also learned how to write a memo, I see the difference between an email and a memo; in a memo, the content is more official and more concise. It is like an outline, informing the receiver about your process in a project. Emails are less formal between group members, and I don’t always include an attachment in emails, and sometimes I and my group members communicate without adding our names on the top.

As for assignment 1.3, I think I benefit more from writing a peer review then doing the assignment. The process of peer review is also a process of reflecting on my own work. I become more familiar with the assignment instructions, and after writing the peer review, I go back to my assignment and made changes based on my suggestions to others. For instance, I did not include an introduction and a conclusion in my assignment, so I added in my revised definition assignment. I also learned that my format needs to be improved, therefore, I organize my revised definition assignment using bolded subheadings, listing the parenthesis definition, sentence definition, and expanded definition more clearly. I also learned the MLA citation format in this unit, in my other classes, we mainly use the APA citation format.

Although no one reviewed my assignment, I am still able to learn something from reviewing others’ work, and see how other member write their definition assignment and learn from them. In their assignments, a lesson I gained is that, when defining a technical term, we need to think of ourselves as the reader or put ourselves in the reader’s shoes. Using common sense to explain difficult concepts.

Please see my revised definition assignment:

ENGL301-Shujunpeng-Revised-Definition-Assignment-1.3)