A New Tax Argument

While reading an article about the possibility of local television stations introducing a “TV Tax” to cable and satellite providers for their signals, which providers currently receive for free, I became torn between two contradicting arguments. Initially, I did not support the idea because I believed the tax would be imposed onto the subscriber. Although agitated by the increase in price, many people would continue to pay for TV as it is an enjoyable aspect of their lives.

However, as I continued to read on, the article stated that BCE, a Canadian “communication giant”, had promised not to place any of the excess fees onto it’s subscribers. Another argument, posed by Crull, was that local television channels “rely solely on advertising revenue” and that this advertising does not generate enough money to ensure the stability of local channels. If the promise made by BCE proved to be true, then the tax may not be a bad thing, but BCE is only one major provider and others may not have similar views. Both arguments prove valid points; however, I agree that the idea of TV tax may be necessary for the survival of local television stations.

Photo link

Read the article