Police Brutality and Workplace Comradeship

Black lives matter. Hearing this phrase instantly reminds you of the connotations and controversy surrounding the movement. However, the protest is valid. In today’s world there should never be a disparity between race, gender or culture. Everyone is born and made equal. Today, I want to analyze why this happens? Why are the police the enemy? What kind of workforce would allow for this develop?               

source: Time

The police force is heavily influenced by traditions like brotherhood and fraternity, everyone is in a unspoken union that emphasizes loyalty and teamwork, however, simultaneously sacrificing important values like ethics and a positive team culture. This comradeship stems from officers risking their lives together on the job, unfortunately facing some stereotypes while working; nonetheless, law enforcement should be the last to succumb to discrimination. In a satirical piece, Issac Bailey sarcastically points out “Because cops are good men doing impossible jobs, nothing is more important than shielding them from unfair criticism. ” His tone clearly highlights that cops must be held accountable for their own decisions. The fact that brotherhood would allow covering up each other’s mistakes is illegal; respective checks and balances must be implemented to ensure ethical and proper decision-making. A police officer should not be afraid to expose those above them in the hierarchy, they should communicate freely and keep those in power in check and in balance.

Honestly, I am personally afraid of law enforcement officers, whenever I see someone in uniform I get nervous; this should not be the case. I get a feeling that I have done something wrong if I get a question, getting a dissenting impression or perhaps feeling insulted and personally attacked. However, I know it is their job to do so, for our own safety and security. In hindsight, officers should build relationships with the community and defeat this horrible and unnecessary stereotype, otherwise the reality may become: the people versus police. (317)