Week Four Reflection

This week was defined by the teachers’ job action. Unfortunately, it is causing me some stress and upset but I am working with it. Also, I had many positive feedback sessions and evaluations and one of my lessons is being written about in the school newsletter!

Job action starting on Wednesday has limited the hours that teachers spend at school. Although I am not someone to come in extremely early or stay very late, I still do not like having limits on my time. We all have to leave at 4 pm, whether the prep work for the next day is completed or not. Of course, I am taking work home with me, but I personally enjoy working in the classroom space as I have multiple resources there and I like to look at the space around me and imagine and determine how I am going to use it. Overall, I feel very rushed to perform and I feel there is a sense of awkwardness in the air amongst the teachers in my school. Some are very dedicated to the union while others are also taking work home but not telling many people that they are.

Despite this issue, I had many positive lessons this week as well as many downfalls. I felt I put in a lot of energy and planning and although a lot of paid off, some of it still came crashing down. To me, that is the ups and downs of teaching and I am learning to deal with it. I am currently taking it all very personally but am working to move past it and learn from my mistakes. Friday was a very good day for me and we only had 2 students move on the traffic light- a major accomplishment for our group of monkeys!

For grade 2 socials, I have officially taken over and we have started a mini unit on Technology. This week, I had my roommate Angela come in and show the students the technology that she uses every day for work. It is a 3D scanner that helps build customized prosthetics and braces for people that need them to increase mobility and overall quality of life. The students really enjoyed seeing the scanner in action and asking lots of questions. During the lesson, the principal came in, took pictures, and has asked me to write a blurb about the activity to be published in the school newsletter. Very exciting!

IMAG1886

Finally, I went to our first Long Jump practice for track and field. Mr. English has said that I am welcome to help out with Long Jump whenever I can, as there are many students who have signed up for it. I am looking forward to it and can’t wait to get out more and get jumping!