BIO

Web Folio: https://blogs.ubc.ca/skriegwebfolio/

I am a second-year civil engineering student studying at the University of British Columbia Okanagan (UBCO). I am specializing in structural engineering and aspire to contribute to improving the sustainability and climate change resilience of buildings. For the next four months, I will be working full-time with a consulting engineering firm as a co-op student. In this position, I will be exposed to structural, civil and geotechnical projects from various industries. Before graduation, I will have the opportunity to complete an additional twelve months of co-op positions. Working in the civil engineering industry as a student will help me to secure a competitive position as an Engineer-in-Training once I graduate. In addition to my coursework and co-op placement, I am working as an undergraduate research assistant for two professors. In the first position, I am assisting to develop a green building material that incorporates post-consumer waste. Since beginning this role, I have had the opportunity to write and present a conference paper on the findings. In my second position, I am analyzing the literature for trends in seismic response for precast concrete buildings in North America and New Zealand. These research positions will help me achieve my future career goals and become a competitive graduate school applicant.

To achieve my goal of becoming a structural engineer, I will pursue a master’s degree in structural engineering. This graduate education will build on my undergraduate coursework and research experience to help me to excel in my career. Before pursuing graduate school, I plan to work in the industry for two to four years. While working in the industry, I will complete the hours necessary to earn my Professional Engineer designation. I believe that industry experience early in my career will help me become a well-rounded engineer and better inform my graduate studies. I look forward to my future research and co-op opportunities, and to eventually becoming a structural engineer.