Sweden as the Leader of Sustainability

When I was asked about my own definition of sustainability, it made me realize how we possess different expectations and standards toward sustainability. I also noticed that these factors are largely influenced by country which we represent. It is interesting to compare how different countries position and approach sustainability. I have decided to conduct a research on Sweden; one of the country which is known as the most sustainable according to World Economic Forum.

Sweden’s movements toward sustainability had begun in the 90s’ when majority of other countries were still not aware of the global impact of environmental issues to our planet. Early movements focused on fuel and energy. In 1990, Sweden started a program  known as district heating which allows major cities to control and provide heating more efficiently and ecologically. Furthermore, this environment conscious nation started to impose higher carbon tax rate in 1995. As a result, Sweden’s carbon tax revenue almost doubled compared to OECD average; which induced people to use less fuel. On top of long term sustainability projects, Sweden is also known for its expenditure on R&D which represents 3.3 per cent of GDP in 2013; the fourth highest percentage among OECD countries according to Swedish government’s website. investments allowed Sweden to become one of the leading nation in the field of sustainability innovation.

In addition, it is not only the government, but also people who are aware of the importance of sustainability. For many Swedish, focus on sustainability have become their lifestyle. As a fact, according to , almost half of the population (40%) purchases eco-labeled foods and products which is much higher ratio than the European average. A single passage on Swedish government website caught my eyes;

“Growing while sustaining”

As we learned in class, growth/profitability and sustainability are often considered to be on the other side of the table. Even for Sweden, we realize that “change” cannot take place overnight.  However, it is evident that all the efforts Sweden has put into sustainability has been paying off, making them the most sustainable country in the world. Rest of the world should learn from Sweden’s success, focus on limitations of the planet and start thinking about sustainability more seriously. I am excited to explore and learn from others “sustainability” from different perspectives and how “marketing” can play a big role in it.

»