Vancouver, let’s take a step back

If someone asks you “what is Vancouver like?” – how would you answer?

There is an endless list of what Vancouver has to offer including beautiful mountains, natural beaches, delicious restaurants, and perhaps… rain. On top of that, Vancouver aims to be one of the most sustainable cities in the world. According to Arcadis’s sustainable cities index, Vancouver ranks the first in North America, and 23rd in the world. Their definition of sustainability is “The ability to balance the immediate needs of today without compromising the demands of tomorrow with focus on three pillars of sustainability: People, Planet and Profit.Strong employment rate and solid work life balance were two main contributing factors while it mentioned the potential improvements in the area of affordable housing and affordable consumer goods.

It also aims to be the greenest city in the world by 2020 through projects including Green Transportation and Buildings, Zero Waste, and more. I was fascinated when I first heard about these action plans. I found myself lucky to be living in such a city which brings innovative and sustainable perspectives to people.

However, soon after I heard about Vancouver’s 2020 project, I was made aware of a contradictory fact about issues in Vancouver that exist in Downtown Eastside (DTES). Though I was aware of DTES and its distinct atmosphere compared to the rest of the city, I was not aware of various issues related to the community. Such issues include drug problems, low employment rate, high pregnancy rate and poor infancy rate. It is also known as one of the poorest neighborhoods in Canada (Torchalla, Linden, Strehlau, Neilson & Krausz, 2014). People in the area found it hard to adapt themselves to communities outside DTES because of their ongoing issues including drug addictions and mental illness.

Personally, something didn’t feel right. On one hand, we are celebrating the fact that we’re one of the most sustainable city in the world, while on the other side of the city, people are suffering to make their livings. There are initiatives trying to improve issues, but it certainly isn’t enough. It conflicts with definition of Sustainability which usually is  referred to as Development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”

Personally, something did not feel right. On one hand, we are celebrating the fact that Vancouver is one of the most sustainable city in the world, while on the other hand and in the same vicinity, people are suffering to make their livings. There are initiatives implemented to improve the conditions, but it certainly is not enough. This current situation conflicts with the definition of sustainability which is normally referred to as “Development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”

One may argue that action plans for 2020 focus more on environmental aspects of sustainability rather than DTES’s developments around economical and social sustainability. However, if we take the definition of sustainability suggested above into consideration, a city should not only focus on one aspect of sustainability, but also should focus on sustainability as a whole.

While Vancouver should keep promoting their action plans for 2020 and improve the sustainable aspects of the city, it is also important to take a step back, face and solve the real issues that exist in the local communities.

Torchalla, I., Linden, I. A., Strehlau, V., Neilson, E., & Krausz, M. (2014). “Like a lots happened with my whole childhood”: Violence, trauma, and addiction in pregnant and postpartum women from Vancouvers Downtown Eastside. Harm Reduction Journal, 11(1), 34. doi:10.1186/1477-7517-11-34

« »