I remember in our first class, when Dharini asked “what is your definition of sustainability?,” I did not have an answer. Being more thoughtful to the planet, having purpose beyond profit, my idea of sustainability was very vague and unclear.

Throughout this course, I learned that business is one of the most effective and influential means to implement the sustainability cycle in our society. Another learning is that there is no single way to become sustainable. This was evidenced from some of the companies that we examined in the class. Vanair introduced sustainable doors, Good Natured Products brought creative solutions to the plastic industry, and Joel has been making investments to help sustainable companies to grow through its initiatives. They all work in different industries, yet making the same positive impact.

People dislike changes and are risk averse, but as we observed in the Story of Stuff, we no longer have the time to be reluctant in making our world more sustainable. As I get to know more about successful entrepreneurs mentioned in the class, I came to realize that becoming the “driver” of such sustainable actions is very important. As Simon Sinek said, it is crucial to “learn your why” in whatever you do. I would like to continue to seek my own definition of sustainability, passionately drive various initiatives based on such definition and ultimately introduce and promote my own concept of sustainability to my home country, Japan.

“We have a choice to make during our brief, brief visit to this beautiful blue and green living planet: to hurt it or to help it. For you, it’s your call.”

Ray Anderson